How to Quit
Are you ready to quit smoking? You don't have to do it alone. We have tips and programs to help you kick the habit.
MU supports employees and students who want to quit using tobacco products by offering individual and group treatment programs at no cost for one series of classes, including nicotine-replacement products. This offer extends to students and employees as well as their spouses and sponsored dependents.
For employees and students who do not want to quit but need help to feel more comfortable at work or during class, nicotine replacement gum and other products may be purchased at MU pharmacies and in nearby convenience stores. Other options may be available to you under your health-benefits program.
Benefits of quitting
- Improved blood circulation.
- Improved senses of taste and smell.
- More stamina and energy.
- More money.
- Reduced risk of diseases such as emphysema, heart disease and cancers.
- Improved self-image and self-respect.
- Whiter teeth and fresher breath.
- Better smelling hair, clothes, home and car.
- No more worrying about when, where and how you'll get your next cigarette.
- Use your support program.
- Stay busy.
- Avoid tempting situations.
- Find new things to do.
- Remember the rewards of quitting.
- If you quit a pack-a-day smoking habit, you can save about $2,000 per year.
- If nobody smoked, one of every three cancer deaths in the United States could be prevented.
- Diabetics who quit smoking have better control over their blood sugar levels.